Human rights session
ICMP 2018, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
July 27, 2018
This is a presentation that I gave at the International Congress on Mathematical Physics 2018, in which I discussed some issues related to the human rights of academics. It was chaired by Edward Witten.
Ayse Erzan and the Peace petition (Turkey)
- Overview of the events: Free to Think 2016 published by Scholars at Risk.
- The original text of the petition: We will not be a party to this crime.
- List of articles about the prosecution of academics from the Turkish news agency Bianet.
- Statement by Ayse Erzan detailing the reasons for the petition.
Serkan Golge and the Purge (Turkey)
- Overview of the events: Free to Think 2017 published by Scholars at Risk.
- Science Magazine article: Turkish-American NASA scientist sentenced to 7.5 years in prison
Ahmadreza Djalali (Iran)
- Article written by colleagues of Djalali on his career: Ahmadreza Djalali: questions everyone must ask by Francesco Della Corte, Frederick M Burkle Jr, Alba Ripoll Gallardo, Luca Ragazzoni, The Lancet, volume 389, number 10084, page 2101, doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(17)31303-X, 2017.
- Amnesty International articles: Iran: Prominent academic sentenced to death after grossly unfair trial and Iran: Upholding academic’s death sentence in secret shows utter contempt for right to life.
Santiago Guevara (Venezuela)
- El Nacional article about Guevara's arrest and ties to Baduel: El profesor Guevara o el delito de la amistad (in Spanish)
- El Carabobeño article about Guevara's release: Liberado Santiago Guevara, profesor de la UC (in Spanish)
- Diario Las Américas article with details about Baduel: El general Baduel, una víctima de Fidel Castro y Hugo Chávez (in Spanish)
Omid Kokabee (Iran)
- Nature Articles about Kokabee's arrest: Iranian says he was jailed for refusing to engage in military research and release: Iran releases physicist after five years in jail.
Scholar Rescue Fund
- Most of the information comes from the SRF website, and the Institute for International Eduction history page.
- A complete list of the scholars helped by the Emergency Committee in Aid of Displaced Foreign Scholars is available here.